Every mom and baby deserves a happy, successful breastfeeding experience. Our International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) will work one-on-one with you to address any breastfeeding concerns, including latching difficulties, painful nursing, low milk production, and more.
Support for Breastfeeding Success
Whether you’re a new or returning member of the club, breastfeeding requires hard work and dedication. Sometimes it takes a while (and a little help) for mom and baby to get into a good rhythm together. That’s where we come in! Our team is here to support you through any lows, so you can get to the high notes of this special bonding time with your baby.
Here are some areas where our lactation consultants have experience and can help a patient:
- Latching problems, nipple pain, bleeding and/or cracked nipples
- Slow weight gain in babies and increasing supply
- Assessing for tongue tie and lip tie symptoms along with post-frenotomy care
- Oversupply, plugged ducts, mastitis, thrush
- Pumping issues and return-to-work planning/troubleshooting
- Weaning from the nipple shield (and fixing the issues that led to nipple shield use in the first place)
- Straight, lesbian, gay, queer, poly, and trans families – LGBTQ2IA+ friendly
- Nursing after breast reduction or augmentation
- Safe sleep and safe co-sleeping practices
- Medications and procedures that may affect lactation
Lactation Support & Pediatric Care in One Visit
Some of our lactation consultants are also experienced pediatric care providers. This means that they can address both the mom and baby’s breastfeeding needs and provide the baby’s medical care during the same visit. This dual expertise is helpful for diagnosing problems like tongue tie, prescribing medications, and/or referring infants to outside care without a separate trip to the pediatrician.
BreastBeginnings (app) provides resources and support to learn about breastfeeding before baby arrives and during the first few months of breastfeeding. The app has a tracker that records feed times, number of breast/bottle feeds, and pees and poops; links to amazing resources that can be sorted by age or topic; and how-to videos on just about anything breastfeeding-related.
- Apple devices: Download on the App Store
- Android devices: Get it on Google Play
BabyLink (text/phone service) connects expectant families in Clackamas County with information and community resources. Call or text: (971) 400-7832.
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (book) is a classic guide to breastfeeding that includes helpful advice for working moms and those nursing multiple children, new tips and stories from real moms, helpful sidebars, and more.
- Breastfeeding Guide (Free)
- La Leche League International
- MilkWorks Breastfeeding Information Center
- Legendairy Milk (Instagram), helpful tips to increase milk production
- KellyMom, general breastfeeding information
- Droplet, latching and hand expression
- LactMed: Drugs and Lactation Database
- Exclusively Pumping Breast Milk
- Baby Blues Connection
COVID-19 & Breastfeeding
- CDC: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and Breastfeeding
- WHO: Q&A: Pregnancy, Childbirth and COVID-19
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Experts Discuss COVID-19 Impact on Children, Pregnant Women
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: ABM Statement on Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)